After serving in the U.S. Navy, lifelong Florida and Polk County resident, Representative Sam H. Killebrew owned and operated multiple construction and manufacturing companies including; Killebrew Manufacturing Company, Imperial Trailer Service, Killebrew Inc., and Rotational Molding Company. He is also a former partner of the Florida Strategic Group, LLC. Sam is actively involved in the progress and expansion of New Beginnings High School which aims to help students who have dropped out to earn a high school diploma.
Representative Killebrew was elected to the Florida House of Representatives in 2016 and is currently serving his third term. Additionally, he served as Vice Chair for the House PreK-12 Innovation Subcommittee, and is a member of the Florida Veterans and Military Families Caucus, he also sits on numerous boards and civic organizations throughout the State. He regularly sponsors legislation to protect Veterans, animals and children and families.
He is married to Eileen Killebrew of Lake Wales and they have 5 children, 7 grandchildren, 5 dogs, and he is an avid supporter of Hope Equine Rescue
Sam has played an influential role in bringing over $10M to Polk County for various road/highway projects, water quality preservation and restoration, educational programs, and other projects around the district.
Notable legislation Sam has sponsored or co-sponsored:
- Ad Valorem Tax Discount for Spouses of Certain Deceased Veterans Who Had Permanent, Combat-Related Disabilities: Will allow the surviving spouse of a combat-wounded veteran to keep their ad valorem tax discount after the veteran dies.
- Emotional Support Animals: Will help to decrease fraud in the housing/rental industry in regards to ESAs.
- Domestic Violence Injunctions: Will allow judges to add family pets to restraining orders in cases of domestic violence giving victims (majority of times women) more empowerment to seek safety
- State Funds – Fought to prohibit the state from raiding the Sadowski Housing Trust Fund to provide more affordable housing to residents of Florida. He plans to file a bill next year that will add it to state statue.
- Emergency Sheltering of Persons with Pets: Mandates that local municipalities provide at least one (1) shelter that allows pets during mandatory evacuations.
- Enrollment of Dependent Children of Active Duty Military Personnel in the Florida Virtual School: Allows students of duty military personnel who are stationed abroad but claim Florida has their resident state to attend Florida virtual school.
- Prohibited Discrimination: Prohibits discrimination based on sexual orientation & gender identity with exceptions for constitutionally protected free exercise of religion.
The Florida House Republican Campaign Committee endorses and urges you to vote for Paul Renner, Daniel Perez, and Sam Killebrew, Republicans, for State Representative. Paid by the Florida House Republican Campaign Committee, 1103 Hays St. Tallahassee, FL 32301. Approved by Paul Renner, Daniel Perez and Sam Killebrew.